It’s tough enough trying to accommodate each and every family member who will be attending, planning everything around their likes and dislikes, abilities and disabilities, and just trying to make it so that everyone will be happy and have a good time. But the real inevitable in this scenario is the financial burden, especially if nobody is helping out!
Keep in mind, though, especially for the travelers, that they will have their own financial burden for the family reunion, so you’re not completely alone. So, that probably doesn’t help you much, does it? Your best bet is to explore cheap family reunion ideas.
Ways to Save Money
Here is a list of 10 cheap family reunion ideas:
- Ask for help: Sometimes you just have to go the extra mile and ask for help, if people aren’t just offering it. You may be surprised at who will help, and your family might not be aware if you need help. So ask!
- Use park shelters: Renting a park shelter is a cheap, fun alternative to renting an expensive venue for the reunion. They are easy to dress up to not look so much like a shelter, and are commonly equipped with a grill!
- Use your church: If you are affiliated with a church, talk to anyone in charge to see about renting out a room or fellowship hall, or even utilizing the property if there is ample space.
- Neighborhood clubhouse: If you have a neighborhood clubhouse that is large, and especially if it has a pool, look into it. There is a good chance that it is affordable and there might be stuff included in the cost!
- Vacation packages: Shopping around for vacation packages and group rates for lodging and flights may be a daunting, time-consuming task, but the savings will be well worth the time. Your family will appreciate you spending the time to find them the best rates as well!
- Beach: Is the reunion projected for summertime? Consider throwing a beach party and bringing some chairs and beach canopies for shelter. Oh, and don’t forget the volleyball and badminton net! It’s easy entertainment, and everyone can always use a little vitamin D from the sun!
- Potluck: Set up a potluck with the whole family, where each person brings a dish to be shared with the rest. This way, you won’t bear the entire cost of the food, which can really get costly!
- Have reunion off-season: If you host the family reunion during off-season, flights and lodging tends to be much cheaper, thus saving you and your family lots of money!
- Go electronic: Ditch the envelopes, papers, and stamps and send emails and text messages instead. Chances are, you are already paying for internet and phone service, so why not use it?
- DIY: If you are handy and crafty, putting these skills to work can save you lots of money in the long run! Instead of having t-shirts made, make them yourself with iron-ons, instead of buying decorations, make those too!
When it comes to cheap family reunion ideas, just because they are cheap, it doesn’t mean they can’t be fun. Some of the biggest pleasures in life come from cheap ideas! For a family reunion, the only thing that matters is the amazing memories created, not the amount of money spent!