If there’s anything that you should value most in your lifetime, it’s the gift of family. No matter who comes or goes in your life, whether they’re your friends, mentor, or significant other, it’s your family who, at the end of the day, you know will never judge or leave you hanging.
Despite the fact, it’s actually statistically proven that families with children over the age of 16 report that their relationships aren’t as strong as when the kids were at the ages six to eight.
For this reason, it’s only a given that we do our best to cherish these relationships whenever we have the chance. And we believe connecting with each other is one way to do so.
In this article, we’re going to give you a list of topics and family conversation starters, so you can communicate better and rekindle your bond.
Whether you’re at an intimate dinner with your parents and siblings, or at a grand reunion with the entire family, below are some conversation starters to set the conversation rolling.
Family Conversation Starters
- How was your day?
- What do you want to do today?
- What makes you happy?
- Is there anything you need help with?
- What are your goals?
- What are your passions?
- What’s your greatest fear?
- What motivates you?
- What’s your take on life?
- What did you accomplish?
- What do you think about school?
- How are your friends?
- What makes you sad?
- What makes you feel loved?
- If you had one super power, what would it be?
- What would you do if you won $1 million?
- What would you tell your future self, 5, or 10 years from now?
- Do you have any regrets?
- What’s your biggest petpeeve?
- What would you tell your past self?
- What’s one thing you wish you did but didn’t?
- What are you afraid to lose?
- What do you want to achieve?
- Do you look up to anyone? Who? Why?
- Who’s your favorite artist?
- What are your hobbies?
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- If you were president, what would you do?
- Name one country you want to visit the most.
- What’s your favorite animal?
- How are your classes?
- Is there anything you want to change in this family/household?
- Who are you closest to?
- Who do you go for advice?
- What are your aspirations?
- What do you want your life to look like in 10 years?
- Is there anything you’d like to do on your own from now on?
- Name one item off of your bucket list.
- What’s your purpose in life?
- What changes do you want to make to better yourself?
- What’s your favorite movie?
- What’s your favorite book?
- What do you like to do with your friends?
- Who’s your favorite fictional character?
- What’s your favorite show?
- What’s your favorite sport?
- If you could be the best at a specific skill in the world, what would it be?
- What’s your favorite subject?
- What’s your least favorite subject?
- If your pet could understand you, what would you tell them?
- What is something you’re proud of?
- What’s your favorite food?
- If you’re given a chance to recite a speech about anything, what would you talk about?
- What are some of the best things you’ve learned so far?
- What’s the biggest challenge so far that you had to overcome? How did you do it?
- If you had your own business, what would it be?
- What’s your favorite color?
- What do you like to daydream about?
- What does your dream house look like?
- Where do you want to go if you had an all-expense paid vacation?
- Who would you bring to travel the world with you?
- Name one thing you can’t leave the house without.
- Name one thing you hate that a lot of people like.
- Do you like pineapples on pizza?
- How do you make a decision when you’re torn between two options?
- What’s your favorite candy?
- Name one thing you like that a lot of people hate.
- If you had unlimited supply of food, what would it be?
- What does an ideal family look like to you?
- Name someone you can rely on for help.
- How do you show your love and appreciation?
- How do you want to be shown that you’re loved and appreciated?
- Give us an idea of your ideal date.
- What’s the most inspiring story you’ve ever heard?
- What’s your favorite quote?
- Are you fond of collecting? If yes, what do you collect/want to collect?
- If someone is in trouble and they’re in need of help, to what lengths are you willing to assist them?
- What’s the craziest dream you’ve ever had in your sleep?
- If you could be anyone for a day, who would it be and why?
- What do you want to advocate in your life?
We hope this article was able to help you come up with new topics to take on the next time you sit around at the dining table. If you wish to see more of our fun family activities, feel free to visit our Etsy shop for more content.
Until then, let this serve as a reminder to celebrate your highs and lows with your loved ones. Everyone is riding in the same roller coaster called life after all. Besides, you might be surprised just how much you could actually relate to each other, and how you just want what’s for everyone’s best interests—just like they do you.