Weddings are a beautiful time when two souls who are clearly perfect for one another are joined together in Holy matrimony. How amazing is it that two people can love each other so much that they make the decision to be wed for a lifetime? This amazing ability to love came from nobody else but from our Lord Almighty, for according to John 4:19, we love because he first loved us!
Bible Verses for Weddings
When it comes to getting married, it’s a very wise idea to include a few nice pieces of scripture in the wedding ceremony. It only makes sense as it is a time when two people are sealing the deal under God; therefore, the ceremony should be geared more toward religion and the Bible.
One of the most common and beautiful Bible verses for weddings comes from 1 Corinthians 13:4-7: “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” In fact, if you’ve ever heard some Bible talk in a ceremony, it was likely this very verse! But what other Bible verses for weddings are there?
- Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!
- Song of Solomon 4:10 How delightful is your love, my sister, my bride! How much more pleasing is your love than wine, and the fragrance of your perfume than any spice!
- Proverbs 18:22 He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord.
- Genesis 2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. (Maintaining purity until marriage is one of marriage’s greatest gifts to each other!)
All of these verses are wonderful things to be said at a wedding during the ceremony, or even in a speech from the Maid of Honor or Best Man. Whatever the case, you really cannot go wrong with the word of God for anything wedding!
Rules of Marriage
Although the Bible has lots of nice things to say when it comes to Bible verses for weddings, it also sets a few rules for the two making the big decision! After all, people shouldn’t make a hasty decision to be wed as this often ends in resentment of one another and ultimately divorce, which does not please God.
- Exodus 20:14 You shall not commit adultery. (In my opinion, rule #1 to marriage! Also the seventh commandment of the Bible, super important!)
- 1 Corinthians 7:10-11 To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife.
- 1 Corinthians 7:39 A wife is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord.
- Mark 10:9 What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate. (Let nobody come between you and your spouse, and never try to get in between a man and wife!)
The Bible seems to really stress verses against adultery and divorce as both sex and marriage are both sanctified by God. This is why it is so very important to make sure that before you say your “I-dos,” that this is truly the person you wish to be with for the rest of your life! We must do whatever pleases God, which means smoothing out that rocky marriage rather than giving up on each other. God never said marriage would be easy.
With all of this to be said about marriage and being faithful to your spouse, let’s not forget about the one thing that brought the two people to want to become united, and that is love. I’m going to leave you off with one final verse from 1 Corinthians 16:14: Let all that you do be done in love.