Does the thought of thanksgiving have your mouth watering? Does the thought of not doing all of the cooking on your own sound very much appealing? Well then, how about putting together a family reunion Thanksgiving potluck?
The food committee will have fun with this one, coordinating all of the dishes to ensure a well-rounded Thanksgiving meal. Though with such a large group of people, the host will need to cook more than one turkey which will require some help!
- Turkey fryers: You likely won’t have enough oven space to cook more than one turkey, and turkey should be served warm to hot! Have a few people bring some fryers so they are all delicious and done at the same time!
- Fry turkeys outside: Every Thanksgiving, it never fails: The news gets flooded with turkey fryer fire stories. Prevent a tragedy by frying them outside and learning the frying basics before attempting this stunt.
- Number of turkeys: Take the number of people that will be present and figure one pound serving per person. So if you will have 25 people, you should get 25 pounds. 50 people? 50 pounds and so on. That’s a lot of turkey!
Dishes To Bring
Turkey is a given and should be the main course, hands down. What other recipes should people bring to a Thanksgiving potluck? Here’s a few!
- Green bean casserole: Perhaps one of the easier casseroles to make and always a winner for Thanksgiving dinner, this one is a must!
- Green beans with almonds and thyme: If you have the green beans, and you have the thyme, then why not spice up some green beans? We don’t do canned green beans on Thanksgiving!
- Homemade stuffing: You can’t have a Thanksgiving dinner with boxed stuffing. You just can’t. This amazing recipe will surely stuff your guests!
- Candied yams: The perfect mix of sweet with your potatoes, everyone will just love these and be asking for seconds! You might just need to double up on the amount you planned on making.
- Creamy Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes: Everything is better with bacon and cheese, right? Right, so what are you waiting for? Start “bacon” those potatoes!
- Pumpkin pie: Last time I checked, it’s basically an unwritten law that you must have a good pumpkin pie with Thanksgiving dinner. It’s probably a good idea to bring a different pie also for variety.
- Cranberry nut bread: Looking for the perfect Thanksgiving potluck treat? This is it! Dessert made with tart cranberries and just a hint of orange, your tastebuds will go wild!
- Cranberry Sauce Extraordinaire: If it’s not enough to bring canned jellied cranberries, then you should really think about making this and serving it up with cream cheese on crackers!
- Butternut squash soup: Best Thanksgiving soup, ever. Just try it. It doesn’t get much more “fall” than a nice, hot soup made with squash!
- Spinach artichoke dip in bread bowl: Need appetizer ideas to make the crowd go wild? This is it! Be sure to make some extra dip!
Having a Thanksgiving potluck for a family reunion meal is the perfect way to bring your family together for this holiday. Say grace and be thankful that you can all be together!