Mother’s have such important roles in life. Not only do they have this amazing ability to grow a baby within her, but also manage to get a large baby out of their bodies and nourish the baby with their body! It’s quite obvious that God knew exactly what he was doing when he created Eve following Adam. It’s no wonder why there’s so many Bible verses about mothers!
Whether it’s Mother’s Day, your mom’s birthday, or a new mother being blessed with her first child, pick through these Bible verses about mothers to find the one that is just perfect for the occasion you need it for. Mothers are quite remarkable women, so there’s plenty to be said in the Bible!
Towards Children About Mothers
Now without mothers, there would be no children! Without women, who would be the ones to grow the children inside their womb, birth them, nourish them with their bodies? Although it takes two to tango to make a baby, and Christ to give his blessing, women have the hardest job in this aspect and children should respect that.
Speaking of respect, the bible stresses a lot toward children that they are to respect their parents. Let’s see some verses:
- Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
- Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
- Exodus 20:12 Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord, your God is giving you.
- Matthew 15:4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’ and ‘Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.’ (Well you’d better show respect!)
- Proverbs 1:8 Listen, my son, to your father’s instructions and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. (She teaches you important lessons for a reason!)
As a child, it’s easy to take things that your mother does for you for granted, but this is where the Bible comes in, as a reminder to appreciate mom and everything she does for her kids! It’s not an easy job, after all!
When it comes to being a mom, the job doesn’t stop at being a mom, as big of a job that really is! They must tend to everything else around them that they would otherwise have to do without children, and also care for their husbands. Let’s see what else the Bible has to say about these amazing creatures we call mom!
- Genesis 28:14 Your offspring shall be like the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south, and in you and your offspring shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
- 2 Kings 4:30 Then the mother of the child said, “As the Lord lives and as you yourself live, I will not leave you.” So he arose and followed her. (We must never give up our children!)
- Proverbs 31:15-17 She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. (Its no secret that mothers are strong! They are providers in so many ways.)
- Proverbs 31:26 She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
Being a mother is a tough job with lots of selflessness and responsibility, but somebody has to do it! There is a good reason why God made women the way he did and to be able to handle a lot more than they appear they can handle. Women of God are the strongest around!
Being a Woman of God
While we are on the topic of being a woman of God, let’s delve into this one. The Bible says that being a mother and bearing children is a huge blessing, and it really is! Sure, there’s many women out there who do not walk in His faith and they are still able to have children, but if a mother walks with God and teaches her children the same, she will be blessed even more and perhaps her job made a little easier having Him on her side.
- Psalm 139:13-14 For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. (Let’s not forget who gave us these sweet, little blessings!)
- Deuteronomy 6:6-7 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. (Teaching the ways of the Lord is a very important duty of being a woman of God and a mother.)
- Psalm 113:9 He gives the barren woman a home, making her the joyous mother of children. Praise the Lord!
- Psalm 127:3 Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.
And my very favorite one for Mother’s Day:
- Proverbs 31:28 Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.
Many of these pieces of scripture are very touching, moving, and powerful. She will love and appreciate the message! Giving mom a card on any occasion will give her some much-needed relief from her busy days and nights. We all know that even on days that are supposed to be centered around mom, she never really gets a break to take a breath. Giving her something to smile about is just what she needs, and you can’t go wrong with the truth from the Bible!