If you are not from the north (I.e. anywhere else but Florida) or have never traveled north during the fall, then chances are, you don’t know what a “real” fall is really all about! It’s never too late to explore this opportunity though, and what better way to do it than to have all of your family with you?
Classic Fall Family Activities
With this type of family reunion, we will leave the decorations up to you and just give you tips on things you can do for fun and some delicious eats! After all, fall basically decorates itself.
- Corn mazes: Find a good one and get lost in it! Most farms up north who have fall festivities almost always have a good corn maze!
- Hay rides: Whether you do a child-friendly hayride or take a haunted hayride, you’re in for a good time! Don’t forget your blue jeans and flannel shirts!
- Haunted houses: When October rolls around, you can always bet that there will be a good haunted house somewhere! I’d check that house behind that black, wrought iron fence…
- Trick-or-treating: If you’re planning your family reunion during Halloween, then there is no way you can let the kids miss trick-or-treating! Dress up and have fun with them!
- Apple picking: Not only can you pick your own apples to fill that pie, but everyone can bring some fresh apples down with them and taste the major difference between that and the ones you find in the produce section.
- Cider donuts: I’m talkin’ warm, melt-in-your-mouth, real cider donuts. You just have to.
- Apple cider: Don’t forget that cup of warm apple cider to wash down those cider donuts. Is it fall yet?
- Apple anything: Well, you’ll need a few recipes for apples, so here’s some ideas: Apple fritters, turnovers, baked apples, applesauce, apple juice, and of course, apple pie!
- Pumpkin carving: Don’t forget to stop by a real pumpkin patch and pick your own pumpkins, then have a pumpkin carving contest! Don’t forget to bake those seeds!
- Pumpkin anything: You know, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie….
- Scarecrow-making contest: Use materials to make a real scarecrow, or make one come to life by dressing up family members instead! Then, go find some crows to put them to the test!
- Hot air balloon ride: Okay, not exactly just a fall activity, but there is no better time to go up in the air and see so many colors from above! It’s a breathtaking experience.
- Take a hike: Find a few good nature trails and go on a hike. Mountains are a great place to do this in the fall, and you’ll definitely need a camera.
- Fun with leaves: During fall, what happens? Leaves fall! Don’t let them go to waste; it’s free entertainment for the kids. Rake them into huge piles and let them go at it.
- Thanksgiving potluck: When you think of fall, your stomach probably growls knowing Thanksgiving is in the mix somewhere. Have a thanksgiving potluck and give thanks to family!
Doesn’t this make you want to have a fall family reunion? This might be just what your family needs for the reunion, to breathe the cool air and all of the beautiful scenes of fall.